Monday, March 30, 2009

Write-In Candidate for Amherst Town Meeting (Precinct 3)

Adrian A. Durlester, Write-In Candidate for Amherst Town Meeting

Be sure to vote on Tuesday, March 31, 2009!

Statement of Adrian A. Durlester, Write-in candidate for Amherst Town Meeting Precinct 3.

Though a newcomer to Amherst I believe strongly in one’s civic responsibilities to the community. As a member of Town meeting, I would diligently research and study the issues that come before us, and solicit the input of community members. Amherst is a unique community with a proud heritage, a diverse population, and strong, inclusive social values. I will work to keep Amherst consistent with those values, while being open to progressive ideas and the new realities of the 21st century. I will work to insure that our children continue to have the benefit of small, supportive, and diverse neighborhood elementary schools.

If you have questions, email me at: adrian@durlester.com, call me at 314-230-3260, or just stop by my home at 23 Valley Lane to chat. More information can also be found at http://www.durlester.com/amherst.htm

Background and Education

Profession: Renaissance man – Jewish Educator; Musician/Music Educator; Theatrical production generalist; Author; Editor; Consultant

Education:

  • Master of Theological Studies, Vanderbilt University Divinity School (2000)
  • Bachelor of Fine Arts in Theatrical Design and Production, North Carolina School of the Arts (1977)
  • Graduate (with honor) of the Bronx High School of Science (1973)
  • Musical training at The Juilliard School of Music Preparatory Division (1961-1969) and the Manhattan School of Music Preparatory Division (1969-1973)

Resident of Amherst: since August 2008

I endorse MEGAN ROSA, Candidate for School Committee meganrosa.blogspot.com

More about my candidacy

A relative newcomer to Amherst since last August, I am keenly interested in fulfilling my civic responsibilities to the community. When I see Town Meeting vacancies going unfilled from my precinct, I feel it is my duty and obligation to offer to fill one of those vacancies, so that the voters of the precinct can be the ones who choose as many of their representatives as possible, rather than having them appointed on their behalf. It is for this reason that I am a write-in candidate for Town meeting from Precinct 3.

As a member of Town meeting, I will diligently research and study the issues that come before us, and solicit the input of community members and my constituents.

One current issue that is presently of great importance to me is the future status of Mark's Meadow Elementary School. I believe it is essential for the Amherst School Committee to fully explore all the options, possibilities, and ramifications of any elementary/middle school restructuring, as well as regionalization, and to fully involve the incoming superintendent in this process, before making any major decisions that would have such a significant impact on the community as the closing of a high-functioning, successful school, particularly when such action is in direct contradiction to the accumulated and consensus wisdom of the school principals and acting (both prior and current) superintendents. As a member of Town Meeting, I would work to insure the School Committee follows such a process before Town meeting approves any budget proposed by the School Committee.

It is clear to me that the present district boundaries for the elementary schools creates a situation that is discriminatory, unfair, and not impartial. Redistricting to insure equity in school districting for all who attend Amherst elementary schools is long past overdue. The realities do not coincide with the stated moral, ethical, and social values of the community. Redistricting should be a top priority, but it should not be accomplished as a side-effect closing a school in the midst of a financial panic.

Amherst is a unique community with a proud heritage. I will work to preserve that heritage, and to keep it consistent with the values of the community, while being open to new ideas, new information, and the new  realities of the 21st century.

If you have questions, feel free to contact me at adrian@durlester.com or call me at 314-230-3260.

You can learn more about me on my person website www.durlester.com

No comments: