Friday, September 24, 2010

Random Musing Before Shabbat - Hol HaMoed Sukkot 5771 - G"d's Moon

For Shabbat Hol HaMoed, the Shabbat that falls during the intermediate days of Sukkot,we read Shemot 32:12-34:26. The first part is the story of when G"d shows Moses G"d's backside.Moses, because of his special relationship with G"d gets this "privilege." Spolier alert- this should clue you in to what I mean in the title of this musing.

Quite frankly, I wish the rest of us would get this "privilege" because it would be far preferable to what we are currently getting from G"d - which is bupkis. Our planet is going to hell in a handbasket. Our morals and ethics, individually and societally, are tested on a daily basis. We fight, bicker and complain, we wage war, we commit acts of terrorism.

Isn't it time for G"d to do as described in the haftarah for Shabbat Hol HaMoed Sukkot - because Gog is probably here right now. Yet all we seem to be getting from G"d is silence or indifference.

I know, I know, I am thinking in human terms. G"d is a different sort of being, not subject to the same rules (well, there's a whole other discussion...) G"d is communicating, we're just not hearing it (or just not listening , or not noticing.) Yes, I myself have used these trite platitudes, the religious versions of stopping to smell the roses, or the ever-popular G"d helps those who help themselves.

Well, frankly, the effect is beginning to wear off.  There are times when I really feel like G"d is showing us G"d's ass. Wish G"d had the courage to moon us outright. Then at least we'd know where we stand. Without some sign, either negative or positive, we're stuck in limbo. Is there a G"d? How can there be a G"d. Hey, G"d, if you're listening, help us out here. Send us a sign that you still care - either that, or drop your drawers and just moon us all.

Irreverent? Flippant. Surely. Sincere and genuine. To some extent, yes. As someone who is willing to hold open the possibility of some kind of Divine presence in our universe, I'm tired of being on the defensive. Still not tired enough to join the ranks of the Malcolm Gladwells out there. There's still something here, some kernel that draws me in. Even more specifically, something that draws me to an understand of that Divinity through a Jewish lens. I can't explain it. By all rights, I should be a total atheist by now. Why is it that I can't bring myself to embrace that position? Oh sure, my concepts of what G"d might be are a far cry from traditional understandings. Yet, rationalist in me can;t overcome the mystic. Maybe I have particular strong G"d genes.

So forgive me, G"d of my non/mis/unsure understanding, for talking about Your ass. Still, think about what I've said. Moses got to see your whole backside. How about just a little peek?

Moadim L'Simkha v'Shabbat Shalom,

Adrian
©2010 by Adrian A. Durlester

No comments: