Friday, October 3, 2014

Random Musing Before Shabbat–Yom Kippur 5775-Afflicted

 G”d certainly has a sense of humor. I wake up this morning, ready for Yom Kippur tonight, the day on which I am to afflict myself – and it seems G”d has already chosen to afflict me, no help needed on my part. At school we had our regular all grades RELISH (Ruakh L’Shabbat) program of which I am the musical centerpiece. Guess what – I have been afflicted with a cold, and my voice is pretty much shot and unusable. Gee, thanks, G”d. I manage to force my voice through the 40 minute program (of which 30 minutes is singing.) I think I managed to afflict all with my raspy voice! And I still had to get through the remainder of this half day of school, which I somehow manage, without completely losing my voice.

Thankfully this year, at least, I am directing a HHDays choir for Kol Nidre and Yom Kippur morning services. so I won’t need my voice to be in shape for singing. But for Ne’ilah I am leading a family service, and the hours of self-imposed affliction from the start of Yom Kippur until then aren’t going to help much healing my voice.

In addition, G”d has afflicted me (or perhaps, subconsciously, I have afflicted myself) with a severe case of writer’s block. I’ve made any number of attempts to start and finish this musing, and this is pretty much the best I’ve been able write. Pretty lame. All of you are going to suffer through enough self-affliction in the next day that you don’t need any extra from me, so I’ll spare any further attempt to write anything coherent, and offer up links to previous Yom Kippur musings.

I wish you all a tzom kal and g’mar chatimah tovah.

Shabbat of Shabbats Shalom,

Adrian
©2014 by Adrian A. Durlester

Yom Kippur 5774 - Blanket Apologies II
Yom Kippur 5772 - Al Khet Shekhetanu
Yom Kippur 5765 - Blanket apologies

No comments: